The Migraine Association of Ireland is a registered charity – Registered Charity Number is 20030414, CHY Number is 11252.
The MAI is a Company Limited by Guarantee and is fully registered with the Charities Regulatory Authority (CRA). It is also listed on the Register of Charities.
The Migraine Association of Ireland (MAI) is committed to complying with the Guidelines for Charitable Organisations on Fundraising from the Public.
The MAI fully complies with the Principles of Good Governance as outlined by The Governance Code (a code of practice for good governance of community, voluntary and charitable organisations in Ireland) and is listed on the Register of Compliance.
Please click here for the MAI Statement on the Principles of Good Governance 2018 MAI was shortlisted for the inaugural Good Governance Awards in 2016 for our Annual Report.
- The CEO’s annual salary is €61,200 per year, having risen by only €1,200 since being appointed in April 2008. No additional bonuses are paid.
- MAI does not have a pension scheme
- No special allowances are paid to staff e.g. Away from Home Allowances, Maternity Benefits, etc.
- Like other voluntary organisations, MAI suffered substantial reductions in funding throughout the recession, but has substantially reduced running costs since the cuts began through membership of Group Schemes with The Wheel and DFI
- MAI work is also supported by occasional corporate funding in the form of unrestricted educational grants, which are governed by a strict code of guidance.
- MAI has the A Standard on the Boardmatch Transparency Scale
MAI Board Members
Name: Derek Bell(Chair)
Date Appointed: 12/04/2021
Experience: Business Consultant and served on numerous other charitable boards.
Name: Ian Swanton (Treasurer)
Date Appointed: 25/08/2014
Experience: Chartered Accountant and Financial Controller of a diverse range of private companies.
Name: Audrey Craven
Date Appointed: Ex Officio
Experience: President of MAI, immediate Past President of both the European Headache Alliance (EHA) and the European Federation of Neurological Association (EFNA) and internationally acknowledged patient advocate.
Name: Rachel Lynch
Date Appointed: 20/08/2018
Experience: Graphic designer and psychotherapist, has developed self management programmes for chronic pain conditions. Previously a board member of FibroIreland.
Name: Dr. Jeff Smith
Date Appointed: 04/08/2020
Experience: Jeff is a physician by training and has worked for pharmaceutical companies for the last thirty years, most recently with Alder Biopharmaceuticals who have developed one of the CGRP medications. The company was recently taken over by Lundbeck which led to Jeff’s retirement from the company.
Dr. Edward O’ Sullivan – Clinical Director of the Migraine Clinic in University Hospital, Cork City
Dr. Mary Kearney – General Practitioner and ICGP Tutor, Vista Clinic, Naas & Dunlavin Health Centre, Co. Wicklow
CNS Esther Tomkins – Clinical Specialist from the Migraine Clinic in Beaumont Hospital, Dublin City